The process is super simple. You basically take a class and mail off for the permit. No need to register your guns or even have a gun. No need to qualify with a firearm.
I am in Northern California. I took a class with this instructor:
Alpha Safety Training
Jim Doc Amentler
I took it at the following location:
J & R Sports Supply LLC
2558 Old First St,
Livermore, CA 94550
Phone: (925) 443-9691
J & R Sports Supply LLC has been having Jim Doc Amentler with Alpha Safety Training do this course here at this location for a long time.
The course was amazing. Doc kept us all awake during the entire class. Taught us what we needed to know in an engaging way. He even brought us coffee, breakfast and lunch!
So take the 6 hour course on Utah Firearm Safety & Concealed Carry. After the class he will pretty much take care of everything.
We needed fingerprint cards – that was included
We needed Passport photos – that was included
He gave us a certificate of completion.
You need a copy of your drivers license
And the Utah application for concealed firearm permit
He walked us thru all the forms and everything was filled out before we left class. He even gave us an addressed envelope to send everything in with out names printed on it.
He went above and beyond with this class.
Concealed Firearm Permit Applications
The following forms are for those individuals applying for, renewing or obtaining a replacement copy of a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit or Provisional Concealed Firearm Permit.
- Application for Concealed Firearm Permit or Provisional Concealed Firearm Permit
- Renewal Application for Concealed Firearm Permit
- Replacement Application for Concealed Firearm Permit
Who is Eligible?
*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- Proof of good character…whereas the applicant;
- has not been convicted of a felony;
- has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
- has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed
- is qualified to purchase and possess a firearm pursuant to Section 76-10-503 and federal law
*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.
What Must Accompany the Application?
- A Photocopy of your state issued Driver License
- Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau of Criminal Identification for a $15 fee.
- Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
- Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Click here for an example. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.
*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT.) The cost is $15.00 for 1 photo and $15.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.
- Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. No exceptions. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.
- You may download an application here.